MHR PMU horses

MHR PMU horses

Welcome to MHR's Blog

We hope you'll enjoy seeing frequent updates and photos of the Miracle Horse Rescue and Sanctuary horses you all know and so generously support. We'll also keep you posted on current projects and plans for the future.

Stephanie Pierce
Founder

All Images and Videos are copyright Miracle Horse Rescue, Inc. and cannot be utilized without explicit written permission.

You're welcome to send comments to miraclehorserescue01@gmail.com

Ways you can help:
Fund raisers:


Sponsor a Horse! (any amount will help)
Doc Wilbur's Medicine Cabinet

Your donations to these efforts are tax deductible and you help feed the horses.

Please friend me on Facebook for all the latest updates.

Watch MHR&S live on ustream.tv

Sunday, November 23, 2008

Sunday morning

Good Sunday Morning,

If I had known that my Saturday would have a comedy of errors throughout the day, I would have requested that we start the day again with a "Do Over"

It was really nothing bad, just a bit frustrating is all, and one thing led to the domino effect. It all started with a bale of hay...I loaded it on my wagon and for the most part all seemed well. Ha! Was I wrong. When I cut the twine to begin my feeding the whole bale exploded, hay everywhere..with a big sigh, I tossed this mess out to the horses, and returned to get another bale and took out to the football team. One bale will generally feed the eight horses in the football field in the morning. The explosion necessitated yet another. Then I proceeded to rake up what was thrown around....sigh. Of course they were thrilled and they were still all eating at 1:30pm yesterday afternoon.

I then began the feeding of hay cubes to the other group. During the feeding of cubes there are several things accomplished. First, feed the horse, second check the horse to ensure there are no newly accquired sores or injuries sustained during the night (as horses will be horses, and if you can think it with them it can happen) and the third thing is to check their water barrels. Well, on Friday we cleaned and refilled and I was going down the line Acey who is blind and whose barrel was 3/4 full, pooped in hers. My first thought was great..so had to stop, dump hers, clean, rinse, fill and move on down the feeding line. Got down to Muffin's pen and much to my surprise..LOL..Muffin had left presents in his almost full water barrel. So another pit stop for our sweet Muffin. Went through the same routine for him as well. Finished this feeding and proceeded to the house. I was not watching where I was walking and stepped in...yep..you guessed it..the leavings from one of the dogs...another big sigh.

As, I could see how my morning was progressing and decided to lay low and go clean Baby B's stall and the play area. It was very peaceful doing this chore, Baby B was right there with me. She would lay her head over my shoulder and would wait for a scratch. She followed me everywhere..what a bond she and I have, very very special. This chore was complete and thought where else should I head to and get something accomplished...then I thought take your pick there is always something to do. I proceeded to work on water barrels, at this time Theresa came over, and we had an issue with her Cloud that had to be fixed immediately. In the meantime, I had forgotten the waterhose in Jerri's barrel and I created a huge lake in her stall. Hence the reason she is in the roundpen..I made a HUGE MESS, my fault. Sorry Jerri, but it obviously made Jerri happy. Once she was in the roundpen she began bucking, snorting and running around. Sheila was able to capture these photos from the web cam during her exercise session. Quite impressive.


Theresa and I thought that it would be good for Apple to get out as well, so she and I decided to try Apple in with the football team. Apple walked very calmly towards the football field, nothing fazing her. Just as we approached, here came the "Welcoming Committee" in all its thundering glory. This really caused Apple's eyes to bug out. She began snorting, dancing around and believe you me tht is a lot of horse to be dancing around. Theresa had her and was doing her best to hang on, I had the gate and the video camera..but that was short lived. Gate was slammed shut, camera went flying and there went the lead rope, whirring through poor Theresa's hand. However, we learned long ago..LET GO. Theresa and I then went running behind this massive, beautiful horse as she charged back towards her area of comfort. Theresa went one way and I the other in order to keep her from wreaking too much havoc. All the horses were whinnying their sheer joy to the unfolding event before them. Apple raced around stopping to visit briefly to those she has been sharing the area with. She would stop and turn around and head in another direction..and at one point came back towards me, and she was in this beautiful heavy footed trot, head held high, and tail flagged behind her. Not knowing which direction she was headed, I decided, get out of her way NOW! She finally stopped in front of Shiloh and General's stall whom are both blind and just stood there and allowed Theresa to catch her up without an issue and she walked calmly back to her stall as if none of this ever occurred. It was a sight to behold.

Once everything had settled down, it was time to finish up water barrels and any other chores that had to be done. So how was your Saturday?? :)

Have a great Sunday!

Stephanie